Profession: 1st Prime Minister of India
Why Famous: Nehru was a central figure in Indian politics and played an active role in India's struggle for independence.
He became the first prime minister of India in 1947 when British rule came to an end, and British India was partitioned into two independent dominions, India and Pakistan.
Nehru helped India transition from a colony to a republic by pursuing a policy of industrialization and implementing several moderate socialist economic reforms.
He held the position of Prime Minister until his death in 1964, and his birthday is still commemorated in India as "Bal Diwas" (Children's Day).
- 1928-08-30 Jawaharlal Nehru requests independence of India
- 1932-01-04 British Viceroy of India Lord Willingdon arrests Gandhi & Nehru
- 1946-09-02 Jawaharlal Nehru forms government in India
- 1952-01-21 Jawaharlal Nehru's Congress party wins general election in India
- 1952-02-10 India holds its first general election: Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru remains in power
- 1952-05-13 Jawaharlal Nehru becomes premier of India
- 1955-06-07 India Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru visit USSR
- 1961-11-05 India's Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru arrives in NY
- 1964-05-28 Jawaharlal Nehru cremated in New Delhi
- 2016-02-12 Student leader Kanhaiya Kumar is arrested on “anti-nationalism” charges by Indian police at an anniversary event of the death of Afzal Guru, at Delhi's Jawaharlal Nehru University