Profession: Rock Musician
Biography: Jerry Garcia was an American musician and co-founder of the band Grateful Dead, for which he was the principal songwriter, lead guitarist, and vocalist. The band is known for being at the forefront of the 1960s counterculture.
Garcia performed with the Grateful Dead for the entirety of its 30 years, but he also participated in a wide variety of side projects and released several solo albums.
In 1994, Garcia was inducted with the Grateful Dead into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He remains renowned for his technical musical ability on a variety of instruments and his facility with lengthy improvisations.
Rolling Stone magazine ranked Garcia as the 13th greatest guitarist of all time in its 2003 list.
Born: August 1, 1942
Birthplace: San Francisco, California, USA
Generation: Silent Generation
Chinese Zodiac: Horse
Star Sign: Leo
Died: August 9, 1995 (aged 53)
Cause of Death: Heart attack
- 1963-04-23 American guitarist Jerry Garcia (20) weds Sara Ruppenthal in California; divorce in 1967
- 1981-12-31 Grateful Dead guitarist Jerry Garcia (38) weds Carolyn "Mountain Girl" Adams (35); divorce in 1994
- 1994-02-14 Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia (51) weds Deborah Koons (40) in Tiburon, California
- 1963-12-31 Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir play music together for the 1st time, Dana Morgan's Music Store in Palo Alto, California
- 1973-03-27 Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead) stopped for speeding and LSD possession
- 1986-08-01 Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia is released from hospital after a 3 week coma
- 1987-07-29 Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream and Jerry Garcia agree on new flavor: Cherry Garcia - cherry ice cream with cherries and fudge flakes
- 1995-07-09 Jerry Garcia's unexpectedly final concert with The Grateful Dead, at Soldier Field, Chicago, Illinois
- 1995-12-07 American rock band The Grateful Dead break up after the death of Jerry Garcia