Why Famous: Jim Bakker, along with his then wife Tammy Faye, hosted the PTL Show on TV from 1974-1987. Jim Bakker based his PTL ministries in the Carolinas where he also built a theme park Heritage USA and him and his wife were known for their lavish lifestyle.
In 1987 Bakker was involved in a sex scandal; he was accused of the rape of church secretary Jessica Hahn and of hushing it up with church money.
Bakker was investigated and found guilty of defrauding his viewers of millions of dollars in 1989 and was sentenced to 8 years in a federal prison, serving nearly five.
In 2003 Jim Bakker returned to TV hosting "The Jim Bakker Show" embracing an end-of-days prophecy. In 2020 the state of Missouri filed a lawsuit against Bakker for selling a fake COVID-19 cure.
- 1961-04-01 American televangelist Jim Bakker (21) marries Christian singer Tammy Faye (19)
- 1987-03-19 American televangelist Jim Bakker resigns amid rape accusation by his secretary, Jessica Hahn
- 1987-05-06 American televangelist Jim Bakker and Rich Dortch dismissed from Assemblies of God after revelations of an alleged rape of a church secretary
- 1988-12-05 Federal grand jury indicts The PTL Club founder and Christian evangelist Jim Bakker for fraud after he paid hush money to cover up an alleged rape
- 1989-10-24 American televangelist Jim Bakker is sentenced to 45 years in prison for fraud but the sentence is later reduced to eight years on appeal
- 1994-12-01 Jim Bakker, American televangelist and convicted fraud is released from jail