Profession: Rock Guitarist
Why Famous: Influential electric rock guitarist, Hendrix moved to England in 1966 and formed The Jimi Hendrix Experience releasing tracks 'Hey Joe' and Purple Haze'.
His performance at the Monterey Pop Festival established him in the US and he is especially known for playing at Woodstock where he played the 'Star Spangled Banner'.
- 1959-02-20 Jimi Hendrix (16), rock and roll guitarist, plays his first gig in the Temple De Hirsch synagogue basement, Seattle. He is fired from the band after the 1st set due to "wild" playing
- 1966-09-21 Jimmy Hendrix changes spelling of his name to Jimi
- 1966-10-12 Jimi Hendrix Experience forms with Jimi Hendrix, Noel Redding & Mitch Mitchell
- 1966-10-25 Jimi Hendrix Experience play their first UK gig as a private showcase at The Scotch of St. James in London
- 1966-12-16 Jimi Hendrix Experience releases its 1st single, "Hey Joe," in the UK
- 1966-12-26 Jimi Hendrix writes "Purple Haze" backstage at the Upper Cut Club, London
- 1967-02-03 "Purple Haze" recorded by Jimi Hendrix
- 1967-03-31 1st time Jimi Hendrix burns his guitar (London)
- 1967-05-12 "Are You Experienced" debut album by the Jimi Hendrix Experience is released
- 1968-03-15 LIFE mag calls Jimi Hendrix "most spectacular guitarist in the world"
- 1969-01-29 Jimi Hendrix and Pete Townshend wage a battle of guitars
- 1969-06-20 150,000 attend Newport '69, Jimi Hendrix gets $120,000 to appear
- 1969-08-18 Woodstock Music & Art Fair closes with Jimi Hendrix / Band of Gypsys as the final act
- 1970-07-01 Jimi Hendrix 1st recording session (NYC)