Profession: 39th US President
Political Party: Democratic
Political Titles: Governor of Georgia
Why Famous: Previously the Governor of Georgia, Carter defeated Gerald Ford in the 1976 presidential election.
During his term in office he pardoned all evaders of the Vietnam War draft and created two new cabinet-level departments, the Department of Energy and the Department of Education. He established national energy policy which included conservation, price controls and new technology.
In foreign policy Carter secured the Camp David Accords which established peace between Israel and Egypt and conducted arms limitation negotiations with the Soviet Union. Carter lost re-election after the economy entered a state of persistent "stagflation" and an energy crisis caused severe shortages at home. The last period of his presidency was marked by the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, the Three Mile Island crisis and the Iran hostage crisis.
Carter has had the longest presidential retirement of any president. In 2002 he won the Nobel Peace Prize for his work with the Carter Center.
- 1946-07-07 39th US President Jimmy Carter (21) weds Rosalynn Smith (18) in Plains, Georgia
- 1976-07-14 Jimmy Carter wins Democratic presidential nomination in NYC
- 1976-09-20 Playboy releases Jimmy Carter's interview that he lusts for women
- 1976-09-23 US televised presidential debate between Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter
- 1976-09-24 Newspaper heiress Patricia Hearst sentenced to 7 years for her part in a 1974 bank robbery. Released after 22 months by US President Jimmy Carter
- 1976-11-02 Democrat candidate Jimmy Carter is elected President of the United States, defeating incumbent Republican President Gerald Ford
- 1977-01-21 US President Jimmy Carter pardons almost all Vietnam War draft evaders
- 1977-02-24 US President Jimmy Carter announces US foreign aid will consider human rights
- 1977-03-07 Israeli PM Yitzhak Rabin meets US President Jimmy Carter
- 1977-03-16 US President Jimmy Carter pleads for a Palestinian homeland
- 1977-04-03 Egyptian President Anwar Sadat's 1st meeting with US President Jimmy Carter
- 1977-06-24 IRS reveals Jimmy Carter paid no taxes in 1976
- 1977-06-30 Jimmy Carter cans B-1A bomber later "B-1's the B-52"
- 1977-09-07 US President Jimmy Carter and Panama's General Omar Torrijos sign the Panama Canal treaties, guaranteeing Panama control of the Panama Canal after 1999
- 1977-09-15 US President Jimmy Carter meets with 15 record company executives
- 1977-11-01 US President Jimmy Carter raises the minimum wage from $2.30 to $3.35 an hour, effective from 1st Jan 1981
- 1977-11-15 US President Jimmy Carter welcomes Shah of Iran
- 1978-02-03 Egyptian President Anwar al-Sadat and US President Jimmy Carter discuss the Middle East peace process in Washington, D.C.
- 1978-04-07 US President Jimmy Carter defers production of neutron bomb
- 1978-09-05 Anwar Sadat, Menachem Begin and Jimmy Carter begin Egypt-Isreal peace conference at Camp David
- 1978-09-17 Anwar Sadat, Menachem Begin and Jimmy Carter sign the Camp David Accords, frameworks for peace in the Middle East and between Egypt and Israel
- 1978-10-13 US President Jimmy Carter answers callers' questions on National Public Radio
- 1978-10-17 President Jimmy Carter signs bill restoring US citizenship to Jefferson Davis
- 1978-10-27 US President Jimmy Carter signs Hawkins-Humphrey full employment bill
- 1978-12-01 US President Jimmy Carter more than doubles national park system size
- 1978-12-16 Ronald Reagan denounces President Jimmy Carter's recognition of People's Republic of China
- 1979-01-14 US President Jimmy Carter proposes Martin Luther King's birthday be a holiday
- 1979-01-29 US President Jimmy Carter commuted Patricia Hearst's 7 year sentence to 2 years
- 1979-04-20 President Jimmy Carter is attacked by a swamp rabbit which swam up to his fishing boat in Plains, Georgia
- 1979-07-24 US President Jimmy Carter names Paul Volcker as Chairman of the Federal Reserve
- 1979-08-30 US President Jimmy Carter attacked by a rabbit on a canoe trip in Plains, Georgia
- 1979-10-17 US President Jimmy Carter signs legislation creating Department of Education
- 1980-01-07 American President Jimmy Carter authorizes legislation to bail out the Chrysler Corporation with a 1.5 billion dollar loan
- 1980-01-20 President Jimmy Carter announces US boycott of Olympics in Moscow
- 1980-03-31 President Jimmy Carter deregulates banking industry
- 1980-04-07 Jimmy Carter breaks relations with Iran during hostage crisis
- 1980-04-25 Announcement of US hostage rescue bungle in Iran
- 1980-06-03 Jimmy Carter wins enough delegates for renomination
- 1980-07-23 River of No Return Wilderness Area designated by Jimmy Carter
- 1980-08-14 Democratic Convention in NYC nominates Jimmy Carter & Walter Mondale
- 1980-11-04 Republican candidate Ronald Reagan is elected President of the United States, defeating incumbent Democrat US President Jimmy Carter by a landslide
- 1981-10-08 US President Ronald Reagan greets predecessors Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford and Richard Nixon before sending them to Egypt for Anwar Sadat's funeral
- 2002-05-12 Former US President Jimmy Carter arrives in Cuba for a five-day visit with Fidel Castro becoming first President of the United States, in or out of office, to visit the island since Castro's 1959 revolution.
- 2015-08-12 Former US President Jimmy Carter reveals that he has cancer