Profession: Statesman and Advisor of Holland
Why Famous: De Witt was a Dutch political figure during what has come to be called the Dutch Golden Age; when during the 1600s, the Dutch were a major commercial and naval power.
During this period, De Witt was a singly powerful politician; one descended from an influential family and whose brother Cornelis de Witt was also a prominent figure at the time.
While De Witt controlled the Dutch parliament for over 20 years, France and England invaded in 1672; it was anger over the apparent ease with which this had happened that led a mob to lynch both of the De Witt brothers in The Hague.
- 1655-02-16 Grand Pensionary of Holland Johan de Witt marries Wendela Bicker
- 1650-12-21 Johan de Witt installed as Dutch Pensionary of Dordrecht
- 1653-07-30 Johan de Witt sworn in as the Grand Pensionary of Holland
- 1672-06-21 Grand Pensionary of Holland Johan de Witt seriously wounded
- 1672-08-20 Former Grand Pensionary of Holland Johan de Witt and his brother Cornelis are brutally murdered by an angry mob in The Hague