Why Famous: Gangster and bank robber during the Great Depression. His gang robbed two dozen banks and four police stations, while Dillinger himself escaped from jail twice.
- 1933-06-10 John Dillinger robs his first bank, in New Carlisle, Ohio. He takes $10, 600
- 1933-10-12 John Dillinger escapes from jail in Allen County, Ohio
- 1933-10-23 John Dillinger and his gang rob Central National Bank, in Greencastle, Indiana. They take $75, 000
- 1934-03-03 John Dillinger breaks out of jail using a wooden pistol
- 1934-06-22 John Dillinger is informally named America's first Public Enemy Number One