Profession: Ist US Chief Justice
Why Famous: Founding Father of the United States
- 1774-04-28 Chief justice John Jay (28) weds Sarah Van Brugh Livingston (17)
- 1779-09-28 American Revolution: Samuel Huntington is elected President of the Continental Congress, succeeding John Jay.
- 1784-12-21 John Jay becomes 1st US Secretary of State (foreign affairs)
- 1789-09-24 President George Washington nominates John Jay the 1st Chief Justice
- 1789-09-26 Thomas Jefferson appointed 1st US Secretary of State; John Jay becomes 1st US Chief Justice