Biography: Founding Father of the United States who served as the 1st Chief Justice of the United States (1789-95), the 2nd Governor of New York (1795-1801) and US Secretary of State (1789-90).
- 1774-04-28 Chief Justice John Jay (28) weds Sarah Van Brugh Livingston (17)
- 1779-09-28 American Revolution: Samuel Huntington is elected President of the Continental Congress, succeeding John Jay
- 1784-12-21 John Jay becomes acting US Secretary of State (1789-90)
- 1787-10-27 Federalist Papers start appearing in New York newspapers under pseudonym "Publius" (written by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay)
- 1789-09-24 President George Washington nominates John Jay for 1st Chief Justice
- 1789-09-26 Thomas Jefferson appointed 1st US Secretary of State; John Jay becomes 1st US Chief Justice