Full Name: John Lawrence Sullivan
Profession: Heavyweight Boxing Champion
Biography: Recognized as the first heavyweight champion of gloved boxing, reigning for 10 years between 1882 and 1892.
Born: October 15, 1858
Birthplace: Roxbury, Massachusetts, USA
Star Sign: Libra
Died: February 2, 1918 (aged 59)
Cause of Death: Heart disease
- 1882-02-07 Last bare knuckle champion John L. Sullivan KOs Paddy Ryan in Miss
- 1884-11-17 Cops arrest boxer John L. Sullivan in his 2nd round for being "cruel"
- 1885-08-29 Boxing's 1st heavyweight title fight with 3-oz gloves & 3-minute rounds fought between John L. Sullivan & Dominick McCaffrey
- 1888-03-10 Heavyweight Boxing champ John L. Sullivan draws Charlie Mitchell in 30 rounds
- 1888-12-22 Heavyweight boxing champ John L. Sullivan challenges Jake Kilrain
- 1889-07-08 John L. Sullivan successfully defends last officially sanctioned, bare-knuckle world heavyweight prizefighting championship; Jake Kilrain's trainer throws in towel after 75 x 1-minute rounds near Hattiesburg, Mississippi
- 1892-09-07 James Corbett KOs 4 to 1 favourite and defending champion John L. Sullivan in 21 rounds at the Olympic Club, New Orleans for world heavyweight boxing title; Sullivan's only defeat and his last fight