Why Famous: As head coach of the Oakland Raiders John Madden won the 1976 Super Bowl.
Although drafted into the NFL Madden never got the chance to play due to a knee injury in training. He turned to coaching in 1960 before joining the Oakland raiders in 1967 and becoming head coach in 1969. Madden retired as coach in 1978.
After his coaching career, he became widely known as a colour commentator for NFL telecasts, paired with Pat Summerall and then Al Michaels.
Madden is also widely known for the long-running Madden NFL video game series.
- 1959-12-26 NFL coach John Madden (23) weds Virginia Fields
- 1966-09-02 Joe Auer returns the opening kickoff 95 yards for a Miami touchdown in the Dolphins' first ever NFL regular-season game; Oakland Raiders go on to win 23-14 at the Orange Bowl before 26,776 fans
- 1967-12-31 AFL Championship, Alameda County Coliseum, Oakland: Oakland Raiders beat Houston Oilers 40-7; George Blanda 4 field goals for Raiders in club's 1st AFL Championship
- 1968-01-14 Super Bowl II, Miami Orange Bowl, Miami, FL: Green Bay Packers beat Oakland Raiders, 33-14; MVP: Bart Starr, Green Bay, QB
- 1968-12-29 AFL Championship, Shea Stadium, NYC: New York Jets beat Oakland Raiders 27-23; Joe Namath 3 TD passes sparks Jets to win
- 1969-02-04 John Madden is named head coach of NFL's Oakland Raiders
- 1970-01-04 AFL Championship, Alameda County Coliseum, Oakland: Kansas City Chiefs beat Oakland Raiders, 17-7; Chiefs defence forces 4 interceptions
- 1971-01-03 1st AFC Championship, Memorial Stadium, Baltimore: Baltimore Colts beat Oakland Raiders, 27-17
- 1973-12-30 AFC Championship, Miami Orange Bowl: Miami Dolphins beat Oakland Raiders, 27-10
- 1974-12-29 AFC Championship, Oakland Coliseum: Pittsburgh Steelers beat Oakland Raiders, 24-13
- 1976-01-04 AFC Championship, Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh Steelers beat Oakland Raiders, 16-10
- 1976-12-26 AFC Championship, Oakland Coliseum: Oakland Raiders beat Pittsburgh Steelers, 24-7
- 1977-01-09 Super Bowl XI, Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA: Oakland Raiders beat Minnesota Vikings, 32-14; MVP: Fred Biletnikoff, Oakland, WR
- 1978-01-01 AFC Championship, Mile High Stadium, Denver: Denver Broncos beat Oakland Raiders, 20-17
- 1978-11-05 Oakland Raider's John Madden becomes 13th coach to win 100 NFL games
- 1979-11-25 Pat Summerall and John Madden broadcast a game together for the first time, a pairing that lasts 22 years and becomes one of the most well-known partnerships in TV sportscasting history
- 2006-02-09 Al Michaels joins NBC's "Sunday Night Football" broadcast with John Madden