Profession: US Senator
Biography: A US Senator since 1987, McCain initially gained fame as a result of his experiences as prisoner-of-war in North Vietnam for five years between October 1967 and March 1973.
In 2008 he was selected as the Republican presidential candidate, forming a ticket with his pick for Vice President, Sarah Palin. In the November election he was defeated by Democrat Barack Obama.
McCain gained notability as one of the fiercest critics of his party's eventually successful candidate for President, Donald Trump.
- 1965-07-03 Naval pilot John McCain marries first wife model Carol Shepp (divorced 1980)
- 1980-05-17 Navy Liaison and future politician John McCain marries second wife teacher Cindy Lou Hensley
- 1973-03-14 Future US senator John McCain is released after spending over five years in a North Vietnamese prisoner of war camp
- 2008-11-04 Barack Obama becomes the first African-American to be elected President of the United States, defeating Republican candidate John McCain
- 2017-07-19 US Senator John McCain diagnosed with brain cancer
- 2017-07-28 US Senate vote for "skinny" repeal of Obamacare fails 51-49 when John McCain casts deciding vote against
- 2018-08-29 John McCain is only the third person to lie in state at the Arizona state capital rotunda in Phoenix
- 2018-09-01 Memorial service for Senator John McCain at Washington National Cathedral with his daughter Meghan McCain, Barack Obama and George W. Bush speaking