Why Famous: Poet and political writer, he held many views controversial at the time. Most famous for losing Paradise, and then regaining it.
- 1656-11-12 English Poet and author of epic "Paradise Lost" John Milton (47) marries 2nd wife Katherine Woodcock
- 1662-02-24 English Poet and author of "Paradise Lost" John Milton marries 3rd wife Elizabeth Mynshull, 31 years his junior.
- 1644-11-23 Areopagitica, a pamphlet by John Milton, decrying censorship, is published.
- 1667-04-27 Blind and impoverished, John Milton sells the copyright of Paradise Lost for £10
- "The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven."