Biography: Nicknamed the March King, composer of 'Liberty Bell', signature tune of Monty Python's Flying Circus.
- 1879-12-30 Composer John Philip Sousa (25) weds Jane van Middlesworth Bellis
- 1880-10-01 John Philip Sousa becomes new director of US Marine Corps Band
- 1892-09-26 1st public appearance of John Philip Sousa's New Marine Band, at Stillman Music Hall in Plainfield, New Jersey
- 1896-04-13 John Philip Sousa's "El Capitan" premieres at the Tremont Theatre in Boston
- 1896-04-20 1st public film showing in US John Philip Sousa's "El Capitan" premieres in NYC
- 1896-12-25 "Stars & Stripes Forever" written by John Philip Sousa