Profession: President of Indonesia
Biography: Previously the Mayor of Surakarta from 2005 to 2012 and Governor of Jakarta from 2012 to 2014, he is the first Indonesian president not to have emerged from the country’s political elite or as an army general.
His win was seen as reflecting Indonesian voters' desire for new and less corrupt leaders.
- 1986-12-24 President of Indonesia Joko Widodo (25) weds Iriana (23) in Solo, Central Java
- 2014-07-09 Joko Widodo is elected President of Indonesia
- 2014-10-20 Joko Widodo becomes President of Indonesia
- 2019-05-21 Indonesian President Joko Widodo confirmed as winning re-election, defeating Prabowo Subianto with 55.5% of the vote
- 2019-05-22 Protests break out in Jakarta, Indonesia against the re-election of President Joko Widodo, killing six people and injuring 200
- 2019-08-26 Indonesian President Joko Widodo proposes moving the country's sinking and over-crowded capital from Jakarta to the island of Borneo (Kalimantan)
- 2021-07-01 Indonesian President Joko Widodo announces a two-week lockdown for the islands of Java and Bali amid the worst COVID-19 outbreak in South East Asia