Profession: Medical Researcher and Virologist
Why Famous: Discovered and developed the first successful inactivated polio vaccine.
When the Salk vaccine was introduced, polio was considered the most frightening public health problem of the post-war United States.
He was uninterested in personal profit and when asked in a televised interview who owned the patent to the vaccine, Salk replied: "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"
- 1939-06-09 Medical researcher Jonas Salk (24) weds social worker Donna Lindsay
- 1970-06-29 Medical researcher Jonas Salk (55) weds painter and author Françoise Gilot (48) in Paris
- 1953-03-26 Dr Jonas Salk announces vaccine to prevent polio
- 1954-02-23 1st mass inoculation against polio with Salk vaccine (Pittsburgh)
- 1954-04-26 Nationwide test of Salk anti-polio vaccine begins
- 1955-04-12 Polio vaccine tested by Dr Jonas Salk announced to be 'safe and effective'