Profession: US Senator
Why Famous: Asserted in a speech that he had a list of members of the Communist Party and members of a spy ring who were employed in the State Department but never able to prove his sensational charge
- 1953-09-29 US Senator Joseph McCarthy (43) weds researcher Jean Kerr at St. Matthews Cathedral in Washington, D.C.
- 1950-02-09 Senator Joseph McCarthy charges State Dept infested with 205 communists
- 1954-03-09 Edward R Murrow criticizes Sen Joseph McCarthy (See it Now)
- 1954-03-11 US Army charges Senator Joseph McCarthy used undue pressure tactics
- 1954-06-09 Joseph Welch asks US Senator Joseph McCarthy "Have you no sense of decency, sir?" during Senate-Army hearings
- 1954-11-01 US Senate admonishes Joseph McCarthy because of his slander campaigns