Full Name: Giuliano della Rovere
Profession: The Warrior Pope
Why Famous: Nicknamed "The Fearsome Pope" and "The Warrior Pope", Julius II was Pope from November 1, 1503 to his death in 1513.
His papacy was marked by an active foreign policy, ambitious building projects, and patronage for the arts.
Most famously, he commissioned the destruction and rebuilding of St. Peter's Basilica and Michelangelo's decoration of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
- 1503-11-11 Pope Julius II elected
- 1506-04-18 The cornerstone of the current St. Peter's Basilica is laid in the Vatican by Pope Julius II
- 1506-10-07 Pope Julius II & France occupy Bologna
- 1509-04-27 Pope Julius II excommunicates Italian state of Venice
- 1510-02-24 Pope Julius II excommunicates the republic of Venice
- 1512-05-03 Pope Julius II opens 5th Council of Lateran at St. John Lateran Basilica in Rome