Full Name: Flavius Petrus Sabbatius Iustinianus Augustus
Profession: Eastern Roman Emperor
Why Famous: A Byzantine emperor from 527 to 565, and one of the most important figures of late antiquity.
During his reign, he sought to revive the empire's greatness and reconquer the lost western half of the historical Roman Empire.
Because of his restoration activities, he has sometimes been called the "last Roman" in modern historiography.
- 0527-04-01 Byzantine Emperor Justin I names his nephew Justinian I as co-ruler and successor to the throne
- 0527-08-01 Justinian I becomes the sole ruler of the Byzantine Empire
- 0529-04-07 First draft of Corpus Juris Civilis (fundamental work in jurisprudence) issued by Eastern Roman Emperor Justinian I
- 0532-01-18 Nika uprising against Emperor Justinian in Constantinople fails, 30,000 killed by troops loyal to the Emperor in the Hippodrome
- 0558-05-07 In Constantinople, the dome of the Hagia Sophia collapses. Justinian I immediately orders the dome rebuilt.