Profession: Automobile Engineer and Inventor
Why Famous: Karl Benz was a German engine designer and engineer, regarded as the inventor of the first automobile powered by an internal combustion engine.
While contemporaries of Benz, Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach were working on similar engines at the same time, it was Benz who received a patent for his work first. Subsequently Benz would go on to patent all the processes necessary to make the internal combustion engine feasible for use in an automobile.
Benz along with his wife Bertha went on to found the Mercedes-Benz company to commercialize this technology. It is now one of the world's leading luxury car brands.
- 1872-07-20 Inventor Karl Benz (27) weds Bertha Ringer
- 1886-01-26 Karl Benz patents 1st auto with burning motor
- 1886-01-29 1st successful gasoline powered car patented by Karl Benz in Karlsruhe, Germany
- 1886-07-03 In Germany, Karl Benz drives 1st automobile
- 1888-08-12 Bertha, wife of inventor Karl Benz, makes 1st motor tour
- 1894-06-26 Karl Benz of Germany receives US patent for gasoline-driven auto
- 1896-05-19 1st auto (Karl Benz) arrives in Netherlands
- 1924-05-11 Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft and Benz & Cie begin their first joint venture (later merge into Mercedes-Benz)