Profession: Gestapo Chief
Why Famous: Barbie, also known as the 'Butcher of Lyon' was a German Gestapo office who was personally responsible for torturing prisoners while in Lyon under the Vichy regime.
Later in life, Barbie was one of the many Nazis that United States intelligence agencies swept up in order to utilise their skills—alongside, for instance, Wernher von Braun.
In 1983, however, Barbie ended up being extradited back to France where he was convicted of crimes against humanity and later died in prison.
- 1944-08-11 Klaus Barbie, Gestapo head of Lyon France leaves for Auschwitz
- 1983-01-19 Klaus Barbie, SS chief in Lyon in Nazi-occupied France, arrested in Bolivia
- 1983-01-25 Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie arrested in Bolivia
- 1983-02-05 Former Nazi Gestapo official Klaus Barbie brought to trial
- 1983-02-06 Trial of former Gestapo commandant Klaus Barbie begins in France for war crimes during World War II
- 1987-07-04 Nazi Klaus Barbie, "Butcher of Lyon" sentenced to life imprisonment in France