Profession: UN Secretary-General
Why Famous: Annan served as the Secretary-General of the United Nations from 1997 until 2006. In 2001 he and the UN were recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize, and he served as chairman of The Elders, an organization founded by Nelson Mandela.
His tenure at the head of the UN saw an investigation into controversial Oil-For-Food program, of which he was exonerated from personal responsibility, the Iraq War, changes to the UN bureaucracy and a focus on tackling HIV.
- 1996-12-13 Kofi Annan is elected Secretary-General of the United Nations
- 1998-02-20 UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan lands in Baghdad, for peace negotiations
- 2001-08-10 US and UK reject a proposal by UN Secretary General Kofi Annan to permit the Iraqi government to use $1 billion per year to fund infrastructure improvements and to increase oil production capacity
- 2018-09-11 Former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan lies in state in Accra, Ghana, ahead of a state funeral
- "It has been said that arguing against globalization is like arguing against the laws of gravity" - Globalization
- "More than ever before in human history, we share a common destiny. We can master it only if we face it together. And that, my friends, is why we have the United Nations." - United Nations
- "We may have different religions, different languages, different coloured skin, but we all belong to one human race. We all share the same basic values."