Profession: 4th Secretary-General of the United Nations
Why Famous: Secretary-General of the United Nations between 1972 and 1981.
Also became the 9th President of Austria between 1986 and 1992.
- 1971-12-21 UN Security Council chooses Kurt Waldheim as 4th Secretary-General
- 1971-12-22 UN General Assembly ratifies former Austrian President Kurt Waldheim as Secretary-General
- 1976-12-07 UN Security Council endorses Kurt Waldheim, Secretary-General for second 5 year term
- 1976-12-08 UN General Assembly re-elects Kurt Waldheim Secretary-General
- 1986-06-08 Alleged Nazi Kurt Waldheim elected President of Austria
- 1987-04-27 US Justice Department bars Austrian Chancellor Kurt Waldheim from entering US, due to his aid of Nazi Germany during WW II
- 1987-06-25 Pope John Paul II receives Austrian President Kurt Waldheim
- 1988-02-29 Nazi document implicates Kurt Waldheim in WWII deportations
- 1992-06-08 Thomas Klestil succeeds Kurt Waldheim as president of Austria