Profession: Polish Politician and Labor Activist
Biography: Co-founded and headed Solidarity (Solidarność), the Soviet bloc's first independent trade union.
Wałęsa won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1983 and served as President of Poland from 1990 to 1995.
- 1969-09-08 Polish politician and trade-union organizer Lech Wałęsa (25) weds Danuta Golos (20)
- 1980-09-17 Polish workers under the leadership of Lech Wałęsa found the Solidarity movement at the Gdańsk Shipyard
- 1981-01-15 Pope John Paul II receives Lech Wałęsa and Solidarity delegation at the Vatican
- 1982-11-14 Polish Solidarity chairman Lech Wałęsa freed
- 1983-06-23 Solidarity leader Lech Wałęsa meets Pope John Paul II during papal visit to Poland
- 1983-10-05 Lech Wałęsa wins Nobel Peace Prize
- 1983-12-10 Danuta Walesa, wife of Lech Wałęsa, accepts his Nobel Peace Prize
- 1989-02-06 Solidarity union leader Lech Wałęsa begins negotiating with Polish government
- 1990-11-25 Lech Wałęsa wins Poland's first popular election
- 1990-12-09 Lech Wałęsa wins Poland's 1st direct presidential election in Poland
- 1990-12-22 Lech Wałęsa sworn in as Poland's 1st popularly elected president