Full Name: Giovanni di Lorenzo de' Medici
Why Famous: Best remembered for granting indulgences for those who donated to reconstruct St. Peter's Basilica, which practice was challenged by Martin Luther's 95 Theses.
Lex X did not take seriously the array of demands for church reform and thus they quickly grew into the Protestant Reformation.
The Protestant Reformation
Martin Luther Challenges the Money-Making Pope
Martin Luther is Excommunicated
Defender of the Faith Henry Rejects Rome
- 1513-03-11 Giovanni de' Medici chosen Pope Leo X
- 1514-01-14 Pope Leo X issues a papal bull against slavery
- 1515-09-13 -14] Battle at Marignano: France beats Habsburgers & Pope Leo X
- 1517-03-16 Pope Leo X signs 5th Council of Lateranen
- 1521-01-03 Martin Luther is excommunicated by Pope Leo X from the Roman Catholic Church for failing to recant parts of his Ninety-five Theses which started the Protestant Reformation
- 1521-05-28 Pope Leo X signs treaty with Holy Roman Emperor Charles V
- 1521-10-11 Pope Leo X titles King Henry VIII of England "Defender of the Faith"