Full Name: Lev Davidovich Bronshtein
Profession: Russian Revolutionary
Why Famous: Russian Marxist revolutionary and theorist, Soviet politician, and the founder and first leader of the Red Army.
Fell out with Joseph Stalin and became exiled overseas. Was eventually tracked to Mexico, where he was assassinated using an ice-pick.
- 1908-10-03 Pravda newspaper founded by Leon Trotsky, Adolph Joffe, Matvey Skobelev and other Russian exiles in Vienna
- 1917-10-08 Leon Trotsky named chairman of the Petrograd Soviet as Bolsheviks gain control
- 1917-10-23 Lenin speaks against Kamenev, Kollontai, Stalin & Trotsky
- 1917-11-08 People's Commissars gives authority to Lenin, Trotsky & Stalin during October Revolution
- 1918-02-10 Trotsky declares that Russia is leaving the war
- 1918-03-13 Trotsky gains control of the Red Army
- 1919-03-23 8th Congress of the Russian Communist Party re-establishes a five-member Politburo which becomes the center of political power in the Soviet Union. Original members Vladimir Lenin, Leon Trotsky, Joseph Stalin, Lev Kamenev and Nikolai Krestinsky
- 1921-03-07 Red Army under Trotsky attack sailors of Kronstadt naval base
- 1925-01-16 Mikhail Frunze replaces Leon Trotsky as People's Commissioner of Military and Native Affairs (Minister of Defence)
- 1925-01-16 Leon Trotsky resigns as chairman of the Russian Revolutionary Military Council as he and Stalin battle for power in the aftermath of Lenin's death.
- 1926-10-19 Russian Politburo throws out Leon Trotsky and his followers
- 1926-11-19 Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Politburo in the Soviet Union
- 1927-11-12 Leon Trotsky expelled from Soviet Communist Party, paving way for Joseph Stalin
- 1927-12-27 Stalin's faction wins All-Union Congress in USSR, Trotsky expelled
- 1928-01-10 Soviet Union orders exile of Leon Trotsky
- 1929-01-18 Stalin proposes to ban Trotsky from the Politburo
- 1929-01-31 Leon Trotsky expelled from Russia to Turkey