Why Famous: Louis Armstrong or 'Satchmo' as he was also known as, remains one of the most famous and influential jazz artists. He was the leading trumpet player of his day and in his later career, with his famous gravelly voice, was even able to kick The Beatles off the number 1 spot in the charts.
Born and bred in New Orleans, he was educated by the city's early and important jazz scene before moving to play in Chicago jazz bands, recording such hits as "Star Dust" and "La Via En Rose".
From the end of the 1920s Armstrong further developed his singing and is one of the inventors of scat singing. In the 1940s he formed the Louis Armstrong and His All Stars band, producing such famous hits as “Mack the Knife” and "Hello Dolly" Armstrong appeared in more than a dozen Hollywood films, often as himself, singing alongside Bing Crosby in "High Society" and with Barbra Streisand in "Hello Dolly".
- 1918-03-19 Jazz musician Louis Armstrong (17) weds Daisy Parker (21)
- 1923-12-18 Jazz musician Louis Armstrong (22) divorces Daisy Parker after 5 years of marriage
- 1924-02-04 Jazz musician Louis Armstrong (22) weds pianist Lil Armstrong (26)
- 1938-09-30 Jazz musician Louis Armstrong (37) divorces pianist Lil Armstrong (40) after more than 14 years of marriage
- 1938-10-11 Jazz musician Louis Armstrong (37) weds longtime girlfriend Alpha Smith
- 1942-10-02 Jazz musician Louis Armstrong (41) divorces Alpha Smith after 4 years of marriage
- 1942-10-12 Jazz musician Louis Armstrong (41) weds dancer Lucille Wilson (28)
- 1925-11-11 Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five begin their first recording session
- 1928-06-28 Louis Armstrong makes 78 recording of "West End blues"
- 1944-01-18 The Metropolitan Opera House in New York City hosts a jazz concert for the first time. The performers were Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, Artie Shaw, Roy Eldridge and Jack Teagarden.
- 2019-06-11 "The New York Times" reveals estimated 500,000 song titles, including masters of Chuck Berry, Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald, lost in 2008 warehouse fire on Universal backlot in Los Angeles