Full Name: Louis XII of France, the Just (Louis of Orléans before accession to the throne)
Profession: King of France
Biography: Born the Duke of Orleans, Louis XII unexpectedly inherited the crown from his cousin after Charles VIII dies in a freak accident hitting his head against a door lintel in 1498.
Louis was a popular king who reformed the French legal system, reduced taxes and reinstated appointing church bishops himself strengthening royal control over the church in France.
A military commander in Charles' Italian campaigns as part of the beginning of the Italian Wars, Louis looked to continue his efforts and especially claim the rich Duchy of Milan, which he laid claim to by descent.
Louis sent a force into Italy, taking Milan in 1500, which he held till 1513. Using this as a base for further campaigns he followed Charles again attempting to take the Kingdom of Naples, succeeding in 1501. His reign as King of Naples was brief and he was forced to cede it to Spain 1504.
Louis XII was the second king to marry Anne of Brittany to ensure continued control of Brittany. He died without a male heir, probably of gout in 1514.
- 1499-01-08 Louis XII of France after papal divorce marries Anne, Duchess of Brittany to keep duchy for the crown
- 1514-08-13 French King Louis XII (52) marries by proxy Mary Tudor (18), sister of Henry VIII, at Greenwich Palace, England
- 1514-10-09 King Louis XII of France marries Mary Tudor, daughter O. Henry VII (sister of Henry VIII)
- 1499-10-06 French King Louis XII occupies Milan
- 1500-04-08 Battle of Novara: King Louis XII of France defeats Duke Ludovico Sforza of Milan
- 1501-10-13 Maximilian of Austria & Louis XII of France sign Treaty of Trente
- 1504-01-01 French King Louis XII loses last bulwark in Naples, Caeta
- 1504-01-31 Under the Treaty of Lyon, French King Louis XII cedes Naples to Ferdinand II of Aragon after defeat in the Italian War of 1499–1504
- 1504-09-22 Treaty of Blois signed between Philip of Burgundy, Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I and French King Louis XII
- 1509-04-16 French army under Louis XII enters the Alps
- 1509-05-14 Battle of Agnadello, French forces under Louis XII defeat the Venetians in Northern Italy
- 1515-01-01 Francis, Duke of Angouleme succeeds King Louis XII as Francis I of France