Profession: The Sun King of France
Why Famous: The longest ruling monarch in European history, Louis XIV came to the throne aged 4 and went on to rule for 72 years. His rule established France as one of the pre-eminent powers of Europe, through early reforms, successful wars, creation of a French Empire and through his patronage of the arts.
He was also the builder of the Palace of Versailles to where he moved the court of France in 1682. In 1685 he issued the Edict of Fontainebleau revoking the Edit of Nantes and ending tolerance of Protestants.
- 1660-06-09 French King Louis XIV (21) marries Maria Theresa of Spain (21) at Saint-Jean-de-Luz
- 1684-01-12 French King Louis XIV marries Madame Maintenon
- 1643-05-14 Louis XIV becomes King of France aged 4
- 1651-11-07 King Louis XIV of France (13) declared of full age
- 1654-06-07 Louis XIV crowned King of France
- 1659-11-07 The Treaty of the Pyrenees signed by representatives of French King Louis XIV & Spanish king Philip IV
- 1661-03-10 French King Louis XIV ends office of premier
- 1661-09-05 Nicolas Fouquet, French Superintendent of Finances under Louis XIV arrested; he died in 1680, never having seen freedom again.
- 1664-03-06 King Louis XIV & Emperor of Brandenburg signs covenant
- 1664-05-07 Louis XIV of France inaugurates The Palace of Versailles.
- 1668-01-19 King Louis XIV & Emperor Leopold I sign treaty dividing Spain
- 1669-02-01 French King Louis XIV limits freedom of religion
- 1670-06-01 English King Charles II & French King Louis XIV sign secret anti-Dutch treaty
- 1671-11-01 French King Louis XIV & RC German emperor Leopold I sign secret anti-Dutch treaty
- 1672-04-29 Franco-Dutch War: Louis XIV of France invades the Netherlands.
- 1672-06-21 French troops under King Louis XIV occupy Utrecht
- 1673-06-16 Peace of Vossem: French King Louis XIV and Frederik Willem of Brandenburg
- 1682-05-06 Louis XIV of France moves his court to Versailles
- 1683-09-24 King Louis XIV expels all Jews from French possessions in America
- 1685-10-18 French King Louis XIV revokes Edict of Nantes cancelling rights of French Protestants
- 1688-11-26 French King Louis XIV declares war on Netherlands
- 1689-04-15 French King Louis XIV declares war on Spain
- 1690-03-16 French King Louis XIV sends troops to Ireland
- 1696-07-29 King Louis XIV of France and Victor Amadeus II, Duke of Savoy sign Peace of Turin, a turning point in the War of the League of Augsburg
- 1715-09-01 King Louis XIV of France dies after a reign of 72 years—the longest of any major European monarch.