Profession: King of France
Why Famous: King of France at the time of the French Revolution, Louis presided over a time of financial crisis that directly contributed to the outbreak of revolution in 1789.
In that year he convened the Estates-General. Discontent among the upper and middle class led to a revolt against the monarchy. His flight to Varennes in 1791 significantly undermined the credibility of the monarchy as an institution.
In 1792 Louis was arrested after an insurrection in August. The monarchy was abolished the following year, a republic was proclaimed and he, along with his unpopular wife Marie Antoinette, were executed by guillotine on 21 January 1793.
- 1774-05-10 Louis XVI ascends to throne of France
- 1778-07-10 American Revolution: Louis XVI of France declares war on the Kingdom of Great Britain
- 1788-08-08 King Louis XVI calls French States & Generals together
- 1789-01-24 Louis XVI of France issues an edict calling for the convocation of the Estates-General, a major event in the French Revolution
- 1789-05-05 French Estates-General meets for the first time since 1614 at Versailles, summoned King Louis XVI
- 1789-10-05 French Revolution: Women of Paris march to Versailles in the March on Versailles to confront Louis XVI about his refusal to promulgate the decrees on the abolition of feudalism, demand bread, and have the King and his court moved to Paris
- 1789-10-06 French Revolution: Louis XVI returns to Paris from Versailles after being confronted by the Parisian women on 5 October
- 1791-06-20 King Louis XVI and the French royal family are caught during an attempt to flee Paris during the French Revolution, severely undermining their credibility
- 1791-06-21 Fleeing French King Louis XVI & family captured at Varennes-en-Argonne
- 1791-09-13 France's King Louis XVI accepts constitution
- 1792-06-13 King Louis XVI dissmisses French government
- 1792-08-10 A large scale insurrection against the French monarchy occurs in Paris
- 1792-12-11 France's King Louis XVI goes on trial, accused of high treason and crimes against the state
- 1792-12-26 Trial of French King Louis XVI, court hears the kings defense brought by Raymond Desèze
- 1793-01-16 French King Louis XVI sentenced to death by the National Convention during the French Revolution
- 1793-01-21 Louis XVI of France is executed by the guillotine in Paris, following his conviction for high treason