Profession: Chess Grandmaster
Why Famous: Carlsen defeated Viswanathan Anand in 2013 to become World Chess Champion. He is renowned as a chess prodigy, achieving grandmaster shortly after turning 13.
While Carlsen showed intellectual promise at an early age, and his father introduced him to chess, at first he was not overly interested in the game. Carlsen says that one of the things which ended up driving him further was a desire to beat his older sister.
- 2012-12-10 Norwegian Magnus Carlsen breaks Garry Kasparov’s 13-year Elo rating record
- 2013-01-01 Magnus Carlsen breaks Garry Kasparov's chess FIDE rating, reaching 2,861
- 2013-01-27 Magnus Carlsen wins the 2013 Tata Steel Chess Tournament
- 2013-11-22 Norwegian, Magnus Carlsen defeats Viswanathan Anand to win the 2013 World Chess Championship
- 2014-11-23 Magnus Carlsen defends his World Chess Championship title after defeating Vishy Anand