Profession: Malaysian Prime Minister
Why Famous: With a career spanning more than 70 years, Mohamad is currently the world's oldest-serving political leader as Prime Minister of Malaysia at age 92. He previously held the position between 1981 and 2003. During this time Malaysia experienced rapid economic growth and modernization, but at the expense of political liberties and freedoms.
In the 2018 election, he announced his candidacy for prime minister, going against his former protege Najib Razak. He announced that if he won he would release his long-time rival Anwar Ibrahim from prison and hand him the job within a few years.
- 1999-08-01 Petronas Towers officially opened in Kuala Lumpur as the world's tallest building by Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad at 451.9 m (1483 ft)
- 2003-10-31 Mahathir Mohamad resigns as Prime Minister of Malaysia and is replaced by Deputy Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, marking an end to Mahathir's 22 years in power
- 2015-08-30 Former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir bin Mohamad calls for the removal of then Prime Minister Najib Razak during the second day of street protests
- 2018-05-09 Historic win in Malaysian general election by opposition coalition Pakatan Harapan led by 92 year old former Prime Minister Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad, defeating Prime Minister Najib Razak and ending 61 years of rule by the Barisan Nasional coalition
- 2018-05-10 Mahathir Mohamad is sworn in as the seventh Prime Minister of Malaysia, the world's oldest leader at 92
- 2020-02-24 Malaysia's 94-year old Prime Minister Mahathir bin Mohamad resigns only to be reinstated later in the day as interim Prime Minister