Profession: Prime Minister of Australia
Why Famous: Malcolm Fraser was a three term Prime Minister of Australia (1975-83) and head of the Liberal Party for eight years.
In 1975 he was controversially made caretaker Prime Minister after the sacking of the Gough Whitlam Labor government by the Australian Governor General Sir John Kerr.
Fraser went on to win the snap federal election with the largest parliamentary majority ever in the country's history in coalition with the Country Party.
Although an advocate of Keynesian economics, Fraser's politics in power were more moderate. In 1983 Fraser lost to Bob Hawke's Labor party and retired from politics.
- 1956-12-09 Prime Minister of Australia Malcolm Fraser (26) weds Tamie Beggs (20)
- 1975-11-11 Liberal leader Malcolm Fraser sworn in as caretaker Prime Minister of Australia after sacking of the Whitlam Government by Governor General John Kerr
- 1975-12-13 Australian Federal Election - Liberals with coalition under Malcolm Fraser win largest ever parliamentary majority
- 1983-03-05 Australian Labor leader Bob Hawke defeats sitting Liberal Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser in a general election
- Prime Ministers of Australia - Malcolm Fraser - National Museum of Australia