Profession: Band Manager and Pioneer of Punk
Why Famous: Malcolm McLaren had a huge influence of late 20th century pop culture. He was the founder of the famous S&M clothing boutique SEX with his girlfriend the designer Vivienne Westwood in London, a center for the emerging Punk scene.
McLaren is perhaps most famous as a band manager, for the New York Dolls briefly and then The Sex Pistols. He created the band with John Lydon as lead singer in 1975 and styled and promoted them to gain maximum publicity. After the Sex Pistols dissolved in 1978 after the death of Sid Vicious, he went to work with many other artists including Adam Ant and Bow Wow Wow.
- 1975-11-06 First performance by punk band The Sex Pistols at St Martins College, London
- 1977-05-27 The Sex Pistols release "God Save the Queen", sparking major controversy and leading to a ban on the song by the BBC
- 1977-06-07 During the Queen's Jubilee, the Sex Pistols attempt to perform on a boat on the River Thames, but are forced to stop by the police
- 1978-01-05 Start of the Sex Pistols final tour in Atlanta, Georgia
- 1978-01-17 After a tumultuous final tour the Sex Pistols break up as a band, which is announced the following day