Profession: Prime Minister of Australia
Why Famous: Turnbull was Leader of the Liberal Party in Australia twice (2008–2009, 2015–2018). During his first stint at the helm, he was Leader of the Opposition; during the second, Prime Minister. Throughout, from 2004 to 2018, he was the Member of Parliament for Wentworth in New South Wales.
While Turnbull lost leadership of the Liberal Party to Tony Abbott in a 2009 leadership challenge, he challenged Abbott again in 2015; he was successful and was sworn in as Prime Minister the next day, seemingly coming from nowhere for many outside of Australia.
Then, in 2018, Turnbull successfully fended off a challenge from Peter Dutton; only to lose later the same month to a challenge by Scott Morrison. With Morrison sworn in as Prime Minister, Turnbull resigned from Parliament.
- 2015-09-14 Malcolm Turnbull ousts Tony Abbott as Australian Prime Minister and leader of the ruling Liberal Party
- 2015-11-02 Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull scraps Knights and Dames from Australia's honours system
- 2017-01-28 US President Donald Trump and Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull have a contentious phone call over deal for US to take 1,250 refugees
- 2018-08-05 Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull declares "now we are a land of droughts" as 99% of New South Wales affected
- 2018-08-21 Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull calls for and wins a leadership vote 43-35 over Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton
- 2018-08-24 Scott Morrison becomes Prime Minister of Australia after defeating Peter Dutton in a leadership spill, replacing Malcolm Turnbull