Why Famous: Margaret Atwood is best known for her work as a novelist and her fifteen books of poetry. She has won both the Arthur C. Clarke Award and Prince of Asturias Award for Literature, and has been shortlisted for the Booker Prize five times, winning in 2000 for "The Blind Assassin".
Atwood has also several times been a finalist for the Governor General's Award.
Atwood's works have been made in films, most notably "The Handmaid's Tale", which has been made into a film, opera and TV series"
- 2000-11-07 Margaret Atwood wins the Booker Prize for her novel "The Blind Assassin"
- 2014-05-23 "Pauline" a chamber opera by Margaret Atwood and Tobin Stokes premieres at the York Theatre in Vancouver
- 2017-04-26 "The Handmaid's Tale" debuts on Hulu starring Elisabeth Moss, Joseph Fiennes and Yvonne Strahovski, based on the book by Margaret Atwood
- 2018-12-28 British New Year's honours list include Knights for author Philip Pullman and comedian Michael Palin, a Dame for Twiggy and a Order of the Companions of Honour for Margaret Atwood
- 2019-09-10 Novelist Margaret Atwood publishes "The Testaments", her follow-up to "The Handmaid's Tale"
- 2019-10-14 Booker Prize awarded jointly to Margaret Atwood for "The Testaments" and Bernardine Evaristo for "Girl, Woman, Other", Evaristo 1st black woman to win
- "Wanting to meet an author because you like his work is like wanting to meet a duck because you like paté."