Why Famous: Conducted pioneering research on radioactivity, the chemical element radium and polonium in which she won The Nobel Prize in Physics, 1903.
She was the 1st woman to win the Nobel Prize and in 1911 became the 1st person to win the Nobel Prize in two different scientific fields.
Her daughter Irene Joliot-Curie, also went on to win a Nobel Prize in chemistry.
- 1895-07-26 Physicist and chemist Marie Curie (27) weds physicist Pierre Curie (36) in Sceaux, France
- 1898-12-21 French Scientists Pierre and Marie Curie discover radium
- 1902-04-20 Marie and Pierre Curie isolate the radioactive compound radium chloride
- 1903-12-10 Nobel Prize for physics awarded to Pierre and Marie Curie for their study of spontaneous radiation
- 1911-12-31 Marie Curie receives her second Nobel Prize, this time in Chemistry, for her work with radioactivity
- "Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less." - Fear
- Marie Curie Biographical - The Nobel Prize