Full Name: Marcus Antonius
Profession: Roman Politician and General
Why Famous: Played a significant role in the transformation of Rome from the republic to the imperial system. Was also involved in one of the most famous love affairs in history with Cleopatra.
- 0044-09-02 BC The first of Cicero's Philippics (oratorical attacks) on Mark Antony. He will make 14 of them over the next several months.
- 0043-11-26 BC Second Triumvirate alliance of Roman leader Octavian (later Caesar Augustus), Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, and Mark Antony formed
- 0043-04-21 BC Battle of Mutina: Mark Antony is again defeated in battle by Aulus Hirtius, who is killed. Antony fails to capture Mutina and Decimus Brutus is murdered shortly after.
- 0043-04-14 BC Battle of Forum Gallorum: Mark Antony, besieging Julius Caesar's assassin Decimus Junius Brutus in Mutina, defeats the forces of the consul Pansa, who is killed.
- 0042-10-23 BC Roman Republican civil wars: Second Battle of Philippi - Brutus's army is decisively defeated by Mark Antony and Octavian. Brutus commits suicide.
- 0031-09-02 BC Battle of Actium: decisive naval battle that effectively ends the Roman Republic. Octavian's forces defeat those under Mark Antony and Cleopatra off the western coast of Greece.
- 0030-07-31 BC Battle of Alexandria: Mark Antony achieves minor victory over Octavian, but most of his army subsequently deserts, leading to Octavian's invasion of Egypt