Profession: Facebook Founder
Why Famous: Best known as one of five co-founders of the social networking website Facebook, Zuckerberg, who has a net worth around $75 billion, is one of the richest people in the world. He currently serves as Facebook's chairman and chief executive officer.
Zuckerberg started Facebook while he was a student at Harvard University in 2004. After expanding it to other college campuses, the company expanded rapidly and became an icon of the social media age.
He and his wife Priscilla Chan started the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative with a view to ""advancing human potential and promoting equality".
- 2012-05-19 Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg (28) weds his longtime girlfriend Priscilla Chan at a small ceremony in Palo Alto, California
- 2004-02-04 Mark Zuckerberg launches Facebook from his Harvard dormitory room
- 2008-10-04 Mark Zuckerberg announces the appointment of Google executive Sheryl Sandberg as Facebook COO
- 2015-08-24 Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announces that for the 1st time 1 billion people logged into Facebook
- 2015-09-14 14 yr old Texan Ahmed Mohamed arrested at school when home-made clock assumed to be a bomb - Mark Zuckerberg and US President Barack Obama send supportive tweets
- 2016-04-12 Breakthrough Starshot: Scientists and internet entrepreneurs, including Yuri Milner, Stephen Hawking and Mark Zuckerberg, announce interstellar project to send robot spacecraft to Alpha Centauri
- 2016-09-21 Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan pledge $3 billion to medical research to "cure, prevent or manage all diseases by the end of the century"
- 2017-05-25 Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg receives an honorary degree from Harvard University, after dropping out in 2004
- 2017-06-27 Mark Zuckerberg announces Facebook has reached 2 billion monthly users
- 2018-03-18 US Senator Amy Klobuchar calls on Mark Zuckerberg to testify before the Senate Judiciary in wake in data mining scandal with Cambridge Analytica
- 2018-03-21 Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg admits they "made mistakes" after data on 50 million users is harvested by Cambridge Analytica
- 2018-04-10 Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg begins testifying before US Congress about data use and security
- 2018-05-22 Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is questioned by members of the European parliament in Brussels in wake of its security scandal
- 2019-03-06 Facebook head Mark Zuckerberg reveals plans to turn the social media platform into a more "privacy-focused platform"
- 2021-01-07 Facebook Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg blocks President Donald Trump from Facebook and Instagram till January 20, following suspension of his other social media accounts the previous day