Why Famous: Hailed for bringing a gripping realism to film acting and is widely considered to be one of the greatest and most influential actors of all time.
A cultural icon, he is most famous for his Oscar-winning performances as Terry Malloy in "On the Waterfront" and Vito Corleone in "The Godfather".
Other influential performances include in "A Streetcar Named Desire", "Viva Zapata!", "Julius Caesar", "The Wild One", "Reflections in a Golden Eye", "Last Tango in Paris" and "Apocalypse Now".
- 1957-10-14 Actor Marlon Brando (33) marries actress Anna Kashfi (23)
- 1959-04-22 Actor Marlon Brando and actress Anna Kashfi divorce
- 1960-06-04 "On the Waterfront" actor Marlon Brando (36) weds Mexican-American actress Movita Castaneda (42)
- 1962-08-10 Actor Marlon Brando (38) marries Tahitian actress Tarita Teriipaia (20) (divorced 1972)
- 1951-09-18 "A Streetcar Named Desire", directed by Elia Kazan and based on Tennessee Williams' 1947 play of the same name, starring Marlon Brando and Vivien Leigh, is released
- 1954-07-28 "On the Waterfront", directed by Elia Kazan starring Marlon Brando and Eva Marie Saint, is released (Academy Awards Best Picture 1955)
- 1955-02-24 12th Golden Globes: "On The Waterfront", Marlon Brando, & Judy Garland win
- 1955-03-30 27th Academy Awards: "On the Waterfront", Marlon Brando & Grace Kelly win
- 1972-03-15 "The Godfather", based on the book by Mario Puzo, directed by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, premieres in NYC (Academy Awards Best Picture 1973)
- 1973-01-28 30th Golden Globes: The Godfather, Marlon Brando and Liv Ullmann win
- 1973-03-27 45th Academy Awards: "The Godfather", Marlon Brando & Liza Minnelli win. Marlon Brando then turns down the Oscar for best actor to protest Hollywood’s portrayal of Native Americans in film.
- 1978-12-10 Superman: The Movie, directed by Richard Donner and starring Christopher Reeve, Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman and Margot Kidder premieres at the Uptown Theater in Washington, D.C.
- 1979-08-15 "Apocalypse Now", directed by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, and Martin Sheen, is released (Palme d'Or 1979)
- 1996-04-06 Marlon Brando makes anti-Semetic remarks about hollywood on Larry King Live, stating that the 'Jews control Hollywood'