Why Famous: Best known for his erotic works, which combined philosophical discourse with pornography.
He often depicted sexual fantasies with an emphasis on violence and criminality, as well as blasphemy against the Catholic Church.
The words sadism and sadist are derived from his name.
- 1763-05-17 Philosopher Marquis de Sade (22) weds Renee Pelagie de Montreuil in Paris
- 1777-02-13 Marquis de Sade arrested without charge, imprisoned in Vincennes fortress
- 1784-02-29 Marquis de Sade transferred from Vincennes fortress to the Bastille
- 1787-07-02 Marquis de Sade shouts from Bastille that prisoners are being slaughtered
- 1794-09-21 Jean-Paul Marat's remains are transferred to the Panthéon in Paris, with the eulogy given by the Marquis de Sade