Biography: The English actor rose to fame in the original UK version of the mockumentary "The Office", starring alongside its writer and creator Ricky Gervais. He then appeared in a number of films including "Love Actually" (2003) and "Shaun of the Dead" (2004).
From 2010-17 he took on the role of Dr. Watson in "Sherlock" alongside Benedict Cumberbatch in an updated version of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. He won both a BAFTA and an Emmy for the role.
Other prominent roles have followed including in Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" and as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe playing the character Everett K. Ross, first appearing "Captain America: Civil War" (2016) and later "The Black Panther".
- 2001-07-09 "The Office" mockumentary created by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, starring Ricky Gervais and Martin Freeman premieres on BBC Two in the UK
- 2010-07-25 British TV series "Sherlock" debuts starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss
- 2012-11-28 "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" 1st of the Hobbit film series, directed by Peter Jackson, starring Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen, premieres in Wellington, New Zealand
- 2013-12-02 "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug", 2nd film in the Hobbit series, directed by Peter Jackson, starring Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen, premieres in Los Angeles
- 2014-04-15 US TV series "Fargo" created by Noah Hawley, starring Billy Bob Thornton, Allison Tolman, Colin Hanks, and Martin Freeman premieres on FX
- 2014-12-01 "The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies", 3rd and final Hobbit film, directed by Peter Jackson, starring Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen, premieres in London
- 2018-03-11 Superhero movie "The Black Panther" becomes the fifth Marvel movie to earn $1 billion worldwide
- 2018-03-26 "The Black Panther" becomes the highest grossing superhero film in America earning $630.9m