Profession: Film Director
Why Famous: Martin Scorsese is an influential film director, screenwriter and producer, part of the "new Hollywood" group of filmmakers that include Francis Ford Coppola, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas.
Scorsese's earliest success was "Mean Streets", his first of many films working with Robert De Niro. He followed this up with "Taxi Driver" (1986) with De Niro in the title role. The film won the Palme d'Or at Cannes and was nominated for Best Picture.
"Raging Bull" (1980) also starred De Niro who won Best Actor and was again nominated as Best Picture. It is often regarded as the best film of the 1980s.
Many successful films has followed including "Goodfellas", "Casino" and "Gangs of New York". "The Departed" finally broke Scorses's infamous Oscar drought, earning him a Best Director Academy Award in 2006.
Scorsese's films are known for their themes of organised crime, Italian-American identity and Catholic guilt. Scorsese's film career has also been marked by a number of long term relationships with actors including De Niro and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- 1965-05-15 Director Martin Scorsese (22) weds Laraine Brennan in New York
- 1975-12-30 Director Martin Scorsese (33) weds teacher and author Julia Cameron (27) in Libertyville, Illinois
- 1977-01-19 Director Martin Scorsese (34) divorces Julia Cameron (28) after 1 year of marriage
- 1979-09-29 Actress Isabella Rossellini (27) weds director Martin Scorsese (36)
- 1982-11-01 Director Martin Scorsese (39) divorces Isabella Rossellini (30) after 3 years of marriage
- 1985-02-08 Director Martin Scorsese (42) weds producer Barbara De Fina (35)
- 1991-10-05 Director Martin Scorsese (48) divorces producer Barbara De Fina (41) after 6 years of marriage
- 1999-07-22 Director Martin Scorsese (56) weds Helen Morris in New York
- 1976-02-08 "Taxi Driver" directed by Martin Scorsese, starring Robert De Niro and Jodie Foster, is released (Palme d'Or 1976)
- 1976-05-28 29th Cannes Film Festival: "Taxi Driver" directed by Martin Scorsese wins the Palme d'Or
- 1980-12-19 "Raging Bull", directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Robert De Niro as boxer Jake LaMotta and Cathy Moriarty as his wife, is released in the United States
- 1990-09-19 "Goodfellas", directed by Martin Scorsese, starring Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, and Ray Liotta, is released
- 1991-03-17 44th British Film and Television Awards (BAFTAS): "Goodfellas" Best Film, Martin Scorsese Best Director
- 2006-09-26 Martin Scorsese's "The Departed", starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, and Mark Wahlberg, premieres in New York City (Best Picture 2007)
- 2007-01-20 12th Critics' Choice Movie Awards: "The Departed" wins Best Film
- 2007-02-25 79th Academy Awards: "The Departed", Forest Whitaker & Helen Mirren win