Full Name: Marvin Gay
Why Famous: Marvin Gaye was an important Motown singer in the 1960s. His initial solo recording were not successful but he found success as a songwriter and session musician.
In 1964 Gaye released his debut album singing with established star Mary Wells before going on to release the single "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)".
Single "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" was released in 1968 and was Gaye's first no. 1 Billboard single. He followed it up with "M.P.G." his best-selling album during the 1960s.
In 1970 Gaye recorded "What's Going On" after witnessing police brutality. Berry Gordy, the head of Motown initially refused to release it until an ultimatum by Gaye.
In 1971 Gaye signed a new recording deal with Motown worth $1 million, the highest for any black artist at the time. In 1973 he released his most successful album "Let's Get it On", bringing him mainstream success. The album has consistently ranked on best of lists ever since, including being inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame and regarded as a landmark in Soul music.
After a a difficult period following a divorce, addiction and tax arrears Gaye made a comeback with the album "Midnight Love" including his biggest single "Sexual Healing". The single won Gaye 2 Grammys.
Gaye was shot and killed by his abusive father after an argument in 1984. His father was later diagnosed with a brain tumour.
- 1971-01-20 Single "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye about police brutality is released
- 1973-08-28 "Let's Get It On" 13th studio album by Marvin Gaye is released
- 1973-08-28 “Let’s Get It On” single released by Marvin Gaye (Billboard Song of the Year 1973)
- 1982-10-01 Marvin Gaye releases his last studio album "Midnight Love" featuring single "Sexual Healing"
- 1990-09-28 Marvin Gaye gets a star on Hollywood's walk of fame
- 2015-03-10 The family of Marvin Gaye win a record $7.3 million lawsuit for music copyright infringement against Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams, and T.I.