Why Famous: Made 11 films with Swedish director Ingmar Bergman, beginning with "The Seventh Seal" in 1957. He was awarded the French Legion of Honor in 2012.
Von Sydow went to have a successful career in Hollywood appearing such films as "The Exorcist" (1973) and "Three Days of the Condor" (1975). He was nominated for an Academy award for his starring role in the Danish film "Pelle the Conqueror" (1987).
From 2016 he played the role of Three-eyed Raven in season 6 of HBO drama "Games of Thrones" for which he was nominated for an Emmy award.
- 1951-08-01 Actor Max Von Sydow (22) weds actress Christina Olin
- 1979-02-26 Actor Max Von Sydow (49) divorces actress Christina Olin after 28 years of marriage
- 1997-04-30 Actor Max Von Sydow (68) weds filmmaker Catherine Brelet
- 1957-02-16 Swedish film classic "The Seventh Seal" directed by Ingmar Bergman, starring Max von Sydow and Bengt Ekerot is released
- 1973-12-26 Horror film "The Exorcist" based on book and screenplay by William Peter Blatty, starring Linda Blair, rated X, premieres - 1st horror film to be nominated for Best Picture
- 1974-01-26 31st Golden Globes: "The Exorcist", Al Pacino, & Marsha Mason win