Why Famous: Widely considered the greatest actress of her generation, if not all time, Streep has won three Academy Awards of 21 nominations, a record for number of nominations. She has also received 31 Golden Globe nominations, with eight wins, both more than any other actor in history.
Streep won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Kramer vs. Kramer (1979), and Best Actress for her roles in Sophie's Choice (1982) and for playing Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady (2011).
In addition to these roles, other notable roles include The French Lieutenant's Woman (1981), Out of Africa (1985), Postcards from the Edge (1990), The Bridges of Madison County (1995), Adaptation (2002), The Devil Wears Prada (2006), Doubt (2008), Julie & Julia (2009), August: Osage County (2013), Into the Woods (2014), Florence Foster Jenkins (2016), and The Post (2017).
Streep is particularly renowned for her ability to impersonate various accents with a high degree of accuracy, including Polish, Australian-New Zealand and British.
- 1978-09-30 Actress Meryl Streep (29) weds sculptor Don Gummer (31) in Mason's Island, Connecticut
- 1978-12-08 "The Deer Hunter", directed by Michael Cimino and starring Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken and Meryl Streep, premieres in Los Angeles (Academy Awards Best Picture 1979)
- 1979-12-19 "Kramer vs Kramer" directed by Robert Benton and starring Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep is released (Best Picture 1980)
- 1982-01-30 39th Golden Globes: On Golden Pond, Henry Fonda & Meryl Streep win
- 1982-12-08 "Sophie's Choice", directed by Alan J. Pakula and based on William Styton's 1979 novel of the same name, starring Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline, is released (Academy Awards Best Actress 1983)
- 1983-01-29 40th Golden Globes: E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Ben Kingsley & Meryl Streep win
- 1983-04-11 55th Academy Awards: "Gandhi", Ben Kingsley & Meryl Streep win
- 1984-03-15 10th People's Choice Awards: Clint Eastwood, Burt Reynolds & Meryl Streep win (Motion Picture) and Tom Selleck, Linda Evans win (TV)
- 1985-03-12 11th People's Choice Awards: Clint Eastwood & Meryl Streep win (Motion Picture) and Tom Selleck, Joan Collins & Linda Evans win (TV)
- 1985-12-10 "Out of Africa", based on the book by Isak Dinesen, directed by Sydney Pollack and starring Meryl Streep and Robert Redford premieres in Los Angeles (Best Picture 1986)
- 1986-03-13 12th People's Choice Awards: Sylvester Stallone & Meryl Streep win (Motion Picture) and Bill Cosby, Linda Evans win (TV)
- 1987-03-14 13th People's Choice Awards: Clint Eastwood & Meryl Streep win (Motion Picture) and Bill Cosby & Cybill Shepherd win (TV)
- 1989-03-12 15th People's Choice Awards: Dustin Hoffman & Meryl Streep win (Dramatic Motion Picture) and Bill Cosby & Phylicia Rashad win (TV)
- 1990-03-11 16th People's Choice Awards: Dustin Hoffman & Meryl Streep win (Dramatic Motion Picture) and Bill Cosby & Phylicia Rashad win (TV)
- 2002-12-06 "Adaptation" directed by Spike Jonze, starring Nicolas Cage and Meryl Streep premieres
- 2002-12-18 "The Hours" premieres in the US, based on the novel by Michael Cunningham and starring Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore and Nicole Kidman
- 2012-01-15 69th Golden Globes: "The Descendants," George Clooney & Meryl Streep win
- 2012-02-26 84th Academy Awards: "The Artist" wins five Oscars and becomes the first silent film to win since 1927, Jean Dujardin & Meryl Streep also win