Profession: New Zealand Prime Minister
Why Famous: Savage served as the 23rd Prime Minister of New Zealand, from 1935 until his death in 1940. Widely regarded as one of the country's greatest leaders, Savage started his career in the trade unions before being elected to the House of Representatives in 1919.
His government, elected in 1935, was the first under the Labour Party. Its success was marked by an increased mandate at the 1938 election. He declared war on Germany in 1939 but died shortly thereafter.
Savage is considered the founder of the welfare state.
- 1935-11-29 Michael Joseph Savage becomes the first Labour Prime Minsiter of New Zealand
- 1939-09-05 New Zealand Prime Minister, Michael Joseph Savage declares New Zealand's support for Britain in the war with Germany; Savage famously told the nation 'where she goes, we go. Where she stands,we stand'
- 1938, Michael Joseph Savage: Crowning honour of a people's love - NZ Herald
- Michael Joseph Savage Biography - NZ History
- Savage, Michael Joseph - Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand