Why Famous: Considered one of the greatest artists of all time and a leading artist during the Italian Renaissance. Michelangelo was a painter, sculptor, architect and poet. Considered the original 'Renaissance Man' Michelangelo's career rang alongside and was often compared to that of his rival Leonardo da Vinci.
Born within the Republic of Florence, Michelangelo began his career as an apprentice to Florentine artist Domenico Ghirlandaio. Two of his great sculptural pieces were completed before he was 30 years of age - the Pieta, now in St Peters and his statue of David for the city of Florence.
Michelangelo is also celebrated for his paintings in the Sistine Chapel within the Vatican. The ceiling depicting scenes of Genesis, he painted first over four years, later competing The Last Judgement on the back wall.
Michelangelo's architectural work comes mostly from his later career. It reached its peak when he was appointed architect of St Peter's Basilica in Rome in 1546. Building on the work of earlier architects for the church, such as Bramante and Bernini, Michalangelo was responsible for realizing its layout, including its massive dome, the tallest in the world.
- 1498-08-26 Michelangelo is commissioned to carve the Pietà sculpture
- 1503-09-13 Michelangelo begins work on his statue of David
- 1504-09-08 Michelangelo's statue of David is unveiled in Florence
- 1512-11-01 Michelangelo's paintings on ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican first exhibited
- 1541-10-31 Michelangelo Buonarroti finishes painting "The Last Judgement" in the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City
- 1972-05-21 Michelangelo's Pietà in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome is damaged by a vandal
- 1998-01-28 Michelangelo's "Christ & the Woman of Samaria" sold for $7.4 million
- 2018-11-15 Art experts in England authenticate two bronzes of men riding panthers as Michelangelo's only surviving bronze works