Profession: US Secretary of State
Why Famous: Pompeo served first as Donald Trump's Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (2017–2018), then as Secretary of State (2018–2021).
A former Army officer and member of the House of Representative, Pompeo went from a critic of Donald Trump before his candidacy to one of his biggest supporters after Trump became the Republican candidate for President in 2016.
During his time as Director of the CIA, and then Secretary of State, Pompeo was seen as a strong supporter of the Trump administration—where other officials contradicted the President, he instead went along with the new rules of play. This meant, for instance, the State Department taking a softened attitude towards authoritarian states; and a more critical one of erstwhile allies.
- 2019-06-13 US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Iran is responsible for recent attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman
- 2019-09-27 US Democrats issue their first subpoena to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, in impeachment inquiry
- 2019-11-18 Secretary of State Mike Pompeo reverses US policy regarding Israeli West Bank settlements as illegal after 24 years
- 2020-05-03 US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says China responsible for the spread and severity of COVID-19 and should be held accountable
- 2020-05-27 US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Hong Kong no longer has autonomy from China, doesn't merit special trade relationship, in note to Congress
- 2021-01-19 US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says China is committing genocide in its repression of Uighurs and other Muslim people