Profession: President of South Korea
Why Famous: Coming from a family of North Korean refugees, Moon studied law and then became involved in human rights activism—once even being arrested during a protest. As a result of this, he was selected to help with Roh Moo-hyun's successful 2002 presidential campaign. Roh had long been a mentor to Moon, and his presidency saw Moon serve in a variety of official roles.
After the impeachment and removal of Park Geun-hye, who Moon had lost against in the 2012 presidential election, Moon was elected President of South Korea in 2017.
Since then he has garnered particular praise for his efforts at normalising relations with North Korea—including a 2019 meeting with Kim Jong-un and Donald Trump.
- 2017-05-09 Moon Jae-in elected President of South Korea after a snap election to replace Park Geun-hye
- 2017-05-30 South Korean President Moon Jae-in orders a probe into additional launchers for the U.S. THAAD anti-missile system
- 2018-04-27 Historic Korean summit, the North's Kim Jong-un and Moon Jae-in of South Korea agree to officially end Korean war and rid peninsula of nuclear weapons
- 2020-02-23 President Moon Jae-in puts South Korea on high alert, empowering the government to lock down cities after 602 cases of COVID-10 reported with six deaths
- 2020-04-15 South Korea is 1st country to hold a general election under COVID-19, President Moon Jae-in's ruling Democratic party wins in a landslide