Why Famous: A musical child prodigy, skilled at both the piano and violin in 18th century Austria, Mozart and his older sister, also a pianist performed throughout Europe.
Mozart composed over 600 works, including 53 symphonies, dozens of masses and liturgical works, and over 20 operas and lyric theater pieces.
Died: December 5, 1791 (aged 35)
Cause of Death: Officially recorded as hitziges Frieselfieber, or severe miliary fever, which refers to a rash that looks like millet seeds. This is more a description of the symptoms than a diagnosis and researchers have suggested over 100 other possible causes of death.
- 1782-08-04 Musician Wolfang Amadeus Mozart (26) weds Constanze Weber in St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna, Austria
- 1767-05-13 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's first opera "Apollo et Hyacinthus", written when he was 11 years old, premieres in Salzburg
- 1781-01-29 Mozart's opera "Idomeneo" premieres in Munich
- 1781-04-08 Premiere of Mozart's violin sonata K379
- 1782-07-16 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's opera "Die Entführung aus dem Serail" premieres in Vienna with Mozart conducting
- 1783-11-04 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's "Symphony No. 36" premieres in Linz, Austria
- 1784-04-29 Premiere of Mozart's Sonata in B flat, K454 (Vienna)
- 1785-01-14 Amadeus Mozart completes his "Dissonanzenquartett / "Dissonance quartet" (opus 10)
- 1785-01-15 Mozart's string quartet opus 10 premieres
- 1785-09-01 Mozart publishes 6th string quartet opus 10 in Vienna
- 1786-05-01 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's opera "Marriage of Figaro" premieres in Vienna with Mozart himself directing
- 1787-08-10 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart completes his chamber piece "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" (A Little Serenade)
- 1787-08-24 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart completes his violin and piano sonata in A, K526
- 1787-10-29 Opera "Don Giovanni", music by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, libretto by Lorenzo Da Ponte premieres at the National Theater of Bohemia in Prague
- 1790-01-26 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's opera "Cosi Fan Tutte" premieres in Vienna
- 1791-09-06 Mozart's opera "La Clemenza di Tito" premieres in Prague
- 1791-09-30 Mozart's opera "Magic Flute" premieres in Vienna